Do I need a GMAT?

No, we do not require GMAT test for admission. Selection of the applicants is done based on their application documents.


I studied Bachelor's in English, do I need a language test?

Depending on where the degree was obtained. If the Bachelor has been done in English in one of the following countries, language criteria is met:

Bachelor's or Master's degree conducted in English language in an EU / EEA country, United States, Canada, Australia or New Zealand

See language requirements here.


I studied Bachelor's in Finland in Finnish, do I need a language test?

If in your previous degree you have completed language studies in English, your language criteria is met. See language requirements from the link above.


My language test score is below the minimum requirement. Can I still apply?

The language criteria is exact, and if you have scored under the minimum requirement you won't be eligible for admission. See language requirements from the link above.


Do I need to certify my documents? Do I need to certify Finnish degree certificates?

Yes, all educational documents attached to your application need to be officially certified - this is with a stamp, date and signature for example by the institution which issued the original document or a notary public. Copies certified correct by two individuals not representing an official body are not accepted. Please consult the country-specific requirements to see if they concern you.

If you are completing or have completed your degree at one of the Finnish universities or universities of applied sciences and your degree was completed at the earliest on 1 January 2003, you do not need to submit officially certified copies, as University of Vaasa has electronic access to required information. However, photocopies of the degree certificate and transcript of records need to be submitted.


Can I apply to more than one programme?

Yes, of course! If you wish to apply for admission to more than one programme, please note that you are required to submit a separate application to each programme. You are also asked to prioritize the programmes as instructed on the application form.


Can I apply even if I have not yet graduated?

You can apply to the programmes even if you have not yet graduated. If you have not graduated by the time the application period for the programme begins, you are required to submit an officially certified copy of your latest transcript of records (please also see Country-Specific Requirements). If you receive the degree certificate and the final transcript of records during the application period, it is recommended that you submit them as well. You should point out the anticipated graduation date on the application and submit the documents you have when you apply. You will need to present your degree certificate and final transcript of records to the University in paper format by the given deadline in July.


Are recommendation letters mandatory? How can I add them to my application?

Recommendation letters are not requested, however, work certificates, diplomas of other studies and other documents not mentioned in the “Required documents” can be submitted together with the application. These documents are not mandatory.


When do the studies begin?

If you are accepted, orientation days for new students take place towards the end of August and courses start in early September. New students are also required to register personally at the University in a scheduled registration session. If you fail to register at the University by the deadline, your study right for the programme will be cancelled.


If I am accepted, can I postpone my studies?

New master's students must accept/decline the offered study place bindingly. International Master's programmes offered by the University of Vaasa are included in the one study place per term provision. You can therefore accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland during one academic term.

In addition, students must register at the University personally in a scheduled registration session and by the given deadline at the very latest. If you fail to register at the University by the deadline, your study right for the programme will be cancelled. Please also note that you have to start your studies in the programme in the beginning of autumn semester and register as attending for the whole academic year. You cannot register as non-attending for the first academic year and you cannot postpone the beginning of your studies to the next semester or academic year. See details concerning the registration here.


Can I transfer credits?

University of Vaasa currently does not have transfer agreements with any university. If you are accepted to a Master's programme you are required to complete 120 ECTS.


Are there tuition fees?

Tuition fees have been introduced in 2017. More information on the tuition fees is available here.


Can I have a scholarship?

University of Vaasa provides a scholarship scheme for students who are subject to tuition fees. You can apply for the scholarship at the same time when applying for the admission to the Master's Programme. More information on the scholarships is available here.


Who can I contact if I have questions?

If you have questions on how to apply, admission criteria or the content of the Master's programmes you are most welcome to contact University of Vaasa Admission Services at information(at)

Please note that during holiday season and application period answering may take some time, therefore it is important that you read the admission criteria carefully through to make sure your application is complete.