English language proficiency needs to be met by every applicant. It can be proved only in one of the below listed ways. University of Vaasa does not apply a strict time limit to how recently the necessary verification for English language skills has been acquired. However, if the language skills verification is several years old it may have a negative effect on the admission decision.
- TOEFL test results with minimum score of 580 in paper-based test or 92 in iBT
- IELTS test results (academic band) with minimum overall band score of 6.5 (each section minimum 5.5
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English, Academic band) results with minimum overall score of 62
- National Certificate of English Language Proficiency (arranged by Finnish National Agency for Education) with minimum overall language proficiency level 5, advanced.
- CPE test (Certificate of Proficiency in English) with pass grade A, B or C – ID number and secret code need to be provided on the copy of the certificate
- CAE test (Certificate in Advanced English) with pass grade A, B or C – ID number and secret code need to be provided on the copy of the certificate
- Certificate of secondary education completed in English language in an EU / EEA country, United States, Canada, Australia or New Zealand
- Certificate of English as the A1 language (minimum grade 2) or A2 language (minimum grade 5) as part of an International Baccalaureate examination
- Certificate of English as the A language (literature/language and literature/language and performance) as part of an International Baccalaureate examination (minimum grade 2)
- Certificate of English as the A language with a minimum grade of Magna Cum Laude Approbatur as part of a Finnish Matriculation examination
- Certificate of English as the LI language (minimum grade 4) or LII language (minimum grade 7) as a part of European Baccalaureate examination
- Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctoral degree conducted in English language in an EU / EEA country, United States, Canada, Australia or New Zealand
- Bachelor's or Master's degree with English (language/literature/philology) as the major subject
- Studies as exchange student in a Higher Education Institution in Finland, in English
- English language studies included in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree conducted in Finland
How to submit certain test results
When requesting the IELTS test centre to forward your language test results to the University of Vaasa, please write down University of Vaasa as the receiver of the test result. The University accepts language test results in paper format both from the test centre and from the applicant directly. Please note that score slips sent to the University as e-mail attachments are not accepted.
When requesting the TOEFL test centre to forward your results to the University of Vaasa, please fill in the University of Vaasa's Institution Code 0647 in the Score Report Recipient field. The testing centre must send the score slip directly to the University or make its electronic equivalent available. Please note that test results sent by the applicant are not accepted.
Submit your test results to University of Vaasa together with your application. Your results will be verified from the test organiser. Include your Candidate's ID (three letters and six numbers) and secret code (four numbers), if applicable. If you do not have these codes, you can request them from the testing organisation. If the codes are unavailable, you should ask the test organiser for the Certifying Statement from Cambridge ESOL to be sent directly to the University of Vaasa.
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic is a paperless test. Once you receive your test score, please send it to the University of Vaasa from your PTE account. Choose Finland as the 'Country', University of Vaasa as the 'Institution' and click 'Search'. Then select University of Vaasa and confirm your order. After this, University of Vaasa should have access to your test results within 48 hours. Please note that online language test results are only accepted from the test organiser.
National Certificate of English Language Proficiency by the Finnish National Board of Education
Submit your test results to the University of Vaasa together with your application. Your result will be verified from the organiser.