Strategy and values
Focused on responsible business
We are an internationally competitive, productive and specialised research university with a strong focus on impactful, basic scientific research. Our core competence consists of high-level expertise in business, technology, management and communications.
Our fundamental purpose is to cultivate new knowledge and nurture civilisation as a core value of our society. This is why we focus on global challenges and opportunities. They provide us with the core source of motivation for our education and research. We use our work as a means to advance positive and sustainable development for individuals, communities and the world at large.
Our multidisciplinary research platforms combine our strong disciplinary knowledge with prevailing global trends. They are also an integral tool in the transformation and renewal of the university’s operations. We utilize them to advance multi-, cross- and inter-disciplinary research to help address the complex challenges facing our society. We carry out ethical research that is both sustainable and responsible. We are committed to the principles of open science.
The University of Vaasa is located at the heart of Northern Europe’s largest energy and environment business cluster. We consider advancing the renewal of the energy sector as a means to combat climate change as a core part of our mission.
The educational experience at the University of Vaasa emphasises the role of community and interaction. At its core, the education experience is built upon cutting-edge, research-based knowledge, the utilization of the latest advances in technology, as well as a focus on student-driven projects.
Modules within our programmes place emphasis on work life relevance, as well as on employment and re-employment in a rapidly changing society. We proactively offer support services to our students in the form of study guidance, well-being and personal development.
Sustainability and responsibility
Universities have a key role to play in combating and resolving climate change and other crises, in creating the necessary expertise and in fostering a secure and stable society.
An open, inclusive and international community
We are a truly international and want to be recognised for our diversity and inclusivity. Our personnel are the key to our success. Our working culture and community are based on equality and non-discrimination.
We are active contributors both nationally and internationally to leading research and educational networks and partnerships. Members of our university community visit, develop and work in scientific communities and companies around the world during different phases of their careers. We also work responsibly towards the integration of international experts into Finnish society.
Strategic targets for 2017-2020
The University of Vaasa is a business-oriented, multidisciplinary, international university. Our focus of areas are:
- management and change
- energy and sustainable development
- finance and economic decision-making
The mission of the University of Vaasa is energising business and society.
- The University of Vaasa will make major investments in world-class research activities, quality and influence.
- Attractive, world-class research environments and phenomenon-based research platforms will entice the best researchers in the focus areas to come to the University of Vaasa.
- Researcher education at the University of Vaasa is diverse and strongly networked, both nationally and internationally.
- The education will be of high-quality, efficient and effective.
- The University will revamp its degree programmes to ensure that wide-ranging bachelor's programmes provide a route for transitioning onto profiled, more internationalised master's programmes.
- The degree programmes will address society's educational needs, and the emphasis on relevance to working life will improve employability.
- Education that utilises new digital tools will be developed systematically.
- The University is a strong provider of adult education all over Finland.
- Exports of education services will be systematically developed.
Interaction with the Society
- The University of Vaasa systematically promotes societal influence by producing up-to-date, high-level research and education.
- The region's nationally significant competence centre in the energy sector operates on global markets and the University of Vaasa has close interaction with the competence centre in terms of teaching, research and staff mobility.