Other Useful Information

Studying in a new country is a great learning experience for you. To make things as easy as possible for you, we have listed some useful tips for you to help you get started with your studies and life in Vaasa.


Every foreign person staying in Finland for more than three months needs to have a residence permit or register their stay in Finland at the Finnish Immigration Service. Please visit the section Permits for more information.

If you are a citizen of non-EU/EEA country, please apply for a residence permit as soon as possible, after receiving your Certificate of Admission from the University. Processing the application may take up to 3 months during the summer months. The application can be first submitted online, and applicants should also visit the nearest Finnish mission to submit their documents and prove their identity.

More information about the residence permits is available at the Finnish Immigration Service website.

Health Care and Insurance

YTHS (The Finnish Student Health Service) maintains a health centre in every city with a university and provides health and dental care for students enrolled at universities and other institutions of higher education. YTHS provides students with preventive health care, medical care, mental health care and dental health care. All Master’s degree and exchange students enrolled at the University are entitled to use the services of YTHS, provided that they have paid the health care contribution in connection with the Student Union membership fee.

You should also obtain an insurance before leaving your home country to cover any expenses which might arise in connection with urgent medical attention, emergency hospital treatment, and repatriation for medical reasons or in case of death. We also recommend that you take an insurance to cover your personal belongings and third party liability. The insurance should cover your whole period of study in Finland.

Medical insurance is required from students coming to Finland from outside the EU/EEA area, and you will be asked to submit an insurance certificate when you apply for a residence permit. Insurances are obtainable at travel agencies or insurance companies.

Citizens of EU/EEA countries are recommended to obtain a European Health Insurance Card before their arrival in Vaasa. The card entitles you to receive all medically necessary care while in another EU/EEA country or in Switzerland.

For more information about health care services and insurances, please visit the Health Care section under Living in Finland pages.


Housing situation is fairly good in Vaasa at the moment. You have an opportunity to apply for an apartment from VOAS (The Vaasa Student Housing Foundation).

There are quite a lot of apartments available in the private market as well. A list of some private companies offering apartments for rent in Vaasa is available at the City of Vaasa webpages. The list is in Finnish, but it contains the contact information of companies and you may enquire about their options e.g. via email.

There are also portals online in which you can look for apartments. One of the portals available online is vuokraovi.com. If you type in 'Vaasa' to the Location box, it will show you all the apartments available in Vaasa at the moment.

For more information about accommodation and VOAS please visit the Accommodation section under Living in Finland pages.

Cost of Living

The cost of living in Finland is on average comparable to the rest of Western Europe. You will need approximately 560 euros per month to cover your living expenses in Finland. If you come to Finland from a non-EU/EEA country and apply for a residence permit, you need to show that you have at minimum 560 euros (net) per month or 6720 euros (net) per year at your disposal for support. This amount is needed because you are expected to pay all your expenses (rent, food, transportation etc.) during your stay in Finland. Unfortunately the University of Vaasa cannot offer any financial support towards living costs for international students.

As a master's degree student, you are entitled to various discounts and benefits on and off campus. For more information, please visit the section Living in Finland.

Computer Passwords

You will receive username and passwords to use the computers and information systems at the University in the registration sessions*. If you have problems with your accounts, please contact the University's IT Services.

Library Card

Students have the right to use the library services free of charge. You can apply for a Tritonia library card online by filling in a library card application form or filling in the form in the library. After you have submitted the form, you will be registered as a customer within three weekdays, after which you can pick up your library card at Tritonia's lending desk by presenting identification.


Our beautiful maritime campus is located in Palosaari close to the city centre. The University offers a modern study environment with up-to-date computer rooms and other technical facilities. From the student restaurant in the main building, there is a magnificent view of the surrounding natural scenery and the sea. When possible, arrangements have been made to facilitate the movement of physically disabled staff and students.

All the University buildings are located close to one another on campus. You can easily find them by following the signs placed in the area.

If you arrive by car and park on the university parking, you need a parking permission. You can obtain a permanent parking permit for students from the information desk in main buildings. Please note that parking without a permit may incur a fine.

For more information about the campus area, please visit the pages for Visitors.

Other Information

Please visit the section Living in Finland for more detailed information about the above mentioned topics and many more.

*) Please note that some part of the registration sessions are status-specific. For Master's degree students, receiving of the username and password for the computers might have a few days delay.