The minimum amount of ECTS credit points to be earned at the host institution during the exchange is 20 ECTS / attended semester (Bachelor/Master-students, does not apply for Doctoral students), but it is highly recommended to earn more. If you doubt that you will earn the required amount, inform home university of this and ask the host university if it is possible to do exams from Vaasa or do some extra work to compensate for the missing credits. Some host universities have own regulations regarding the amount of credits. Credits earned during the exchange must be included into the University of Vaasa -degree.There are several ways to recognize your studies:

  1. They can replace in existing course in Vaasa if the content is similar
  2. They will be added into your studies as such (individual courses)
  3. They can form a minor or a subject module in accordance with the faculty regulations
  4. As a part of international studies module (consisting of exchange orientations, duration of the exchange and the studies done during the exchange)
  5. International double degree


Courses at the host university

The students must seek the course information from the website of the host university. Unfortunately the course information is not always easily availalble or is subjected to change upon arrival, but usually some information is found, which helps planning the studies at host university.

The students must discuss with the the Coordinator of International Education at their faculty of the courses they will be completing at the host university before their exchange and draft a Learning Agreement. A copy of this Learning Agreemetn must be provided to the international office. A second Learning Agreement will be drafted at the beginning of the exchange according to the courses the student will be attending and sent by e-mail to the International Exchange Coordinator. A new Learning Agreement must be drafted always when courses change. Learning Agreement is crucial in knowing and ensuring that the courses done during the exchange will be recognized by the University of Vaasa. The international office must have copies of the first and second Learning Agreement

The template for the Learning Agreement is found in the Forms-folder

Most of the European universities use ECTS, which are equal the the Finnish ECTS, which means 25-27 hours of work. Outside of Europe destinations have different credit systems, the most common being the credith hour, where 1 credit hour is equal to 1 hour of teaching in a 15-16 week semester. This does not include homework etc., so usually credit hours are multiplied by 1.5-2 to get the ECTS amount,so 10 credit hours are usually equal to 20 ECTS. Exceptions are Frontera, SILC, NWPU whre the ratio is 1:1

The completed academic courses will be added and recognized into your degree if possible and when agreed upon with the Learnign Agreement -procedure. This does not happen automatically, you need to discuss it with the Coodinator of International Education at your faculty after the exchange. Remember to keep all study documents.

For Doctoral students the workd load at the exchange can be research work, gathering data, publications, project work, etc. The study plan must be approved by the Doctoral supervisor and the host university. The students can also participate in Master-courses, but this must also be approved by the supervisor and host university i.e. Doctoral students can apply for exchange places where the level of studies is Master and do project/research work and/or Master-courses, if the home and host university agree to this.

Updated 21/09/18 - Kansainväliset asiat