English language proficiency needs to be met by every applicant and it can be proved only in one of the below listed ways. University of Vaasa does not apply a strict time limit to how recently the necessary verification for English language skills has been acquired. However, if the language skills verification is several years old it may have a negative effect on the admission decision.
Depending on the language test in question, part of the language certificates may be uploaded to the online application form by the applicant. Please see instructions for each test on this page.
Some language certificates are asked to be submitted directly by the language certificate provider to the University. These certificates should be submitted either by e-mail at admissions(at)univaasa.fi or at: University of Vaasa, Admission Services ref. Master's application, P.O. Box 700, FI-65101 Vaasa, Finland.
If the language skills required by the University of Vaasa are shown in your educational documents (Degree Certificate or Transcript of Records proving you meet the language requirements), you do not have to submit any additional attachments.
- TOEFL test results with minimum score of 580 in paper-based test or 92 in iBT, or following scores in rPDT: a minimum score of 20 in reading section, a minimum score of 20 in listening section and a minimum score of 22 in writing section. MyBest scores are accepted.
- IELTS test results (academic band) with minimum overall band score of 6.5 (each section minimum 5.5)
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English, Academic band) results with minimum overall score of 62
- National Certificate of English Language Proficiency (arranged by Finnish National Agency for Education) with minimum overall language proficiency level 5, advanced
- C1 Advanced test (Certificate in Advanced English) with minimum pass grade C – ID number and secret code need to be provided on the copy of the certificate
- C2 Proficiency test (Certificate of Proficiency in English) with minimum level C1 – ID number and secret code need to be provided on the copy of the certificate
Higher education in English in countries mentioned below
Secondary education in English in countries or examinations mentioned below
How to submit certain test results
The University accepts language test results uploaded directly to the online application form by the applicant, or in paper format both from the test centre and from the applicant directly. If requesting the IELTS test centre to forward your language test results to the University of Vaasa, please write down University of Vaasa as the receiver of the test result.
When requesting the TOEFL test centre to forward your results to the University of Vaasa, please fill in the University of Vaasa's Institution Code 0647 in the Score Report Recipient field. The testing centre must send the score slip directly to the University or make its electronic equivalent available. Please note that test results sent by the applicant are not accepted.
Submit your test results to University of Vaasa together with your application. Your results will be verified from the test organiser. Include your Candidate's ID (three letters and six numbers) and secret code (four numbers), if applicable. If you do not have these codes, you can request them from the testing organisation. If the codes are unavailable, you should ask the test organiser for the Certifying Statement from Cambridge ESOL to be sent directly to the University of Vaasa.
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic is a paperless test. Once you receive your test score, please send it to the University of Vaasa from your PTE account. Choose Finland as the 'Country', University of Vaasa as the 'Institution' and click 'Search'. Then select University of Vaasa and confirm your order. After this, University of Vaasa should have access to your test results within 48 hours. Please note that online language test results are only accepted from the test organiser.
National Certificate of English Language Proficiency by the Finnish National Board of Education
Submit your test results to the University of Vaasa together with your application. Your result will be verified from the organiser.