Doctoral Programme in Technical Sciences
About the Programme
The Doctoral Programme covers all fields of research under the School of Technology and Innovations at the University of Vaasa. The doctoral programme produces Doctors of Science in Technology (D.Sc. (Tech)), Doctors of Science in Business Administration (D.Sc. (Econ)) and Doctors of Science Philosophy (PhD). The goal of the doctoral programme is to train high calibre experts capable of independent research work to serve industries, the economic life, the world of academia and other organisations.
Doctoral degrees can be completed in the following research fields (main subjects): Automation Technology, Energy Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Telecommuication Engineering, Industrial Management, Information Systems Science, Statistics, and Business Mathematics.
Energy, management and finance are the central focus areas of research in the doctoral programme In Technical Sciences. The doctoral programme conducts basic research and work-oriented applied research. Applying known methods and tools while developing new solutions for problems related to the field of technology and the economy are key elements of the programmes. The programme is multidisciplinary, covering every part of technology development from new technical innovations and solutions to product development and it includes e.g. studies in sustainable development. The programme also offers technological scientific knowledge, methodical and computational foundations for solving problems in the field of technological science and the mathematical and statistical models of economic phenomena.
The Head of the Programme is Professor Seppo Hassi.
The doctoral programme belongs to the following national networks:
- Doctoral Training Network in Electrical Energy Engineering, DTNEEE
- Information Technology INFORTE.FI
- The Finnish Doctoral Programme in Stochastics and Statistics (FGSS)
- Graduate School of Logistics and Supply Chain Management (L&SCM)
- Doctoral training network in Electronics, Telecommunications and Automation (DELTA)
Research is conducted in research groups. Projects are run by research groups in collaboration with industrial companies and various national and international universities and research institutes.
The research groups of the School of Technology and Innovations are:
The key areas of expertise of the research groups are:
- low-carbon energy production
- electricity networks
- protection of electricity network and automation
- measuring technology
- signal processing
- wireless data transfer and sensor networks
- development of products and services
- environmental technology
- research of data networks and data modelling
- quality of wireless telecommunications services and management of radio resources
- computational geometry
- data modelling
- nonlinear optimisation
- optimisation using genetic algorithms
- energy-technological characteristics of bio-oils
- optimisation of injection systems for biofuels
- engine technology
- the mathematical and statistical modelling of technological and economic phenomena
University Services, Research Services and Graduate School
- +358 29 449 8293
School of Technology and Innovations, Mathematics
- +358 29 449 8279
- Fabriikki F482
University Services, Education Services
- +358 29 449 8133
- Fabriikki F422