Data protection statement
1. Purpose of personal data processing
Your personal data is processed on the univaasa.fi site because it is needed in the technical maintenance, communications and marketing of the site, as well as in the analysis and development of the site.
- Legal obligation: The University of Vaasa may process your personal data to comply with its legal obligations. Such bases include the fulfilment of an employer's obligations for staff, the organisation of teaching and its support functions for students, ensuring the security of the University and the continuity of operations, the fulfilment of statutory reporting obligations, and the meeting of official requirements.
- Legitimate interest: The University of Vaasa may store and process your personal data when it is necessary for pursuing the legitimate interests of the University. On this basis we may, for example, send you information about the University's operations and manage the analysis, maintenance and development of the University's operations and services.
- Task in the public interest or exercise of official authority: The University of Vaasa may process your personal data when the processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest, such as scientific or historical research, statistics or archiving, or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.
- Consent: The University of Vaasa may process your personal data based on your explicit consent, for example, in data files for newsletter recipients. In such cases, you can withdraw your consent at any time. The processing of your personal data must then be terminated unless the University has another legal basis for processing your data.
- Vital interest: In exceptional circumstances, the University of Vaasa may process your personal data in situations where the processing is necessary for addressing an urgent problem or reduces potential damage to you. This processing serves your vital interests.
2. What data do we collect?
- Data you have provided to the University of Vaasa: For example, the feedback forms on the site ask for your name and email address, so that we can, if necessary, respond or ask for further information concerning your feedback. However, providing such data is voluntary.
- Data on the use of services: We collect data on the users of the univaasa.fi site, for example, by using cookies. Cookies are small text files sent to and stored on a user's computer that do not damage users' computers or files. Data such as the number of users, the user's country, time spent, the browser used and the content the visitor has visited and whether the site is used on the campus's internal or external network are stored on the use of the site. Individual users are not identifiable through these data.
The University of Vaasa does not use its own or third-party cookies to identify you. Nor does the University of Vaasa connect your IP address to you or collect any other data that would reveal your identity, unless you voluntarily provide us with these data.
- University of Vaasa cookies: First-party (University of Vaasa) cookies are needed for the functions of the site's user interface and content management systems, such as for logging in to the site's maintenance user interface by persons who update the online service.
- Third-party online analytics solution providers:
- For the development of the content and usability of our online service, we use third-party (Google Analytics) cookies on our site, which provide us with data on, for example, the use of our website and the terminal devices and browsers of the visitors to our site. For more information on Google Analytics and data protection, go to http://www.google.com/intl/fi/policies/privacy/. You can opt out of data collection by Google Analytics by downloading an add-on to your browser at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- The University of Vaasa also uses third-party cookies to target marketing. The Your Online Choices service allows you to familiarise yourself with online advertising and privacy and manage related settings: www.youronlinechoices.com.
- Google Analytics - https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
- Facebook - www.youronlinechoices.com
- Instagram - www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp | www.aboutads.info | youronlinechoices.eu
- LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/settings/enhanced-advertising
- Twitter - https://twitter.com/settings/account
- YouTube - https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/#infochoices
- AddThis - http://www.addthis.com/privacy
- Smilee - https://leadoo.com/privacy-policy
Each third party's own user and other terms are applied to the services provided or the applications supplied by the third party on the univaasa.fi site.
4. Do we disclose personal data?
We only transfer personal data within the organisation of the University of Vaasa and only to the extent necessary for the technical maintenance and development of the sites and the communication, marketing, maintenance, analysis and development of the content of the sites.
The University of Vaasa will disclose your personal data to third parties in the following situations only:
- Your consent: Your personal data may be disclosed with your explicit consent, for example, in connection with a service provided by a third party.
- Service providers: We will disclose personal data only to the extent that third parties need access to the personal data we are processing in order to provide services to the University of Vaasa for the purposes defined by this privacy statement. This refers to, for example, Google Analytics provided by Google. We have taken the appropriate measures to ensure that your personal data will only be processed for the purposes mentioned in this privacy statement and in accordance with current legislation. The processing of personal data is conducted on behalf of and for the account of the University of Vaasa.
- Research use: We may in some cases disclose data for purposes of scientific or other research (e.g. student projects) in accordance with the requirements of data protection legislation.
- Legal reasons: The University of Vaasa may share your personal data with third parties if access to the personal data or any other processing is necessary to (i) comply with the applicable law and/or court order; (ii) detect, prevent or deal with any misuse, security risk or technical problem. The University of Vaasa will inform of such use of personal data when it is possible.
5. International data transfers
The University of Vaasa aims to implement services and process personal data utilising operators and services within the EU and EEA. However, the University of Vaasa's services may in some cases be implemented by utilising operators, services and servers located elsewhere, and in those cases, your personal data may be transferred between countries. Such transfers may include disclosures of personal data outside the EU and EEA to countries where personal data processing legislation differs from the requirements of Finnish legislation, such as the US. The University of Vaasa will in those cases provide for the adequate level of personal data protection.
6. Data protection
Data protection is included in the operations of the University of Vaasa as an integral part of the University's security work and general administration. Personal data processed by the University of Vaasa is collected and processed only in such systems and databases which comply with the University's security policy. The personal data is located in locked and secured premises or in systems and databases with limited access. The data is accessible only by persons who need to process the data for the fulfilment of their duties or the provision of the University's service. Data prying or use for any other purpose than that defined by the University is strictly forbidden.
7. Amendments to the data protection statement
The University of Vaasa may make amendments to this data protection statement. Potential amendments will always be notified in this privacy statement.
8. Your rights
- Right to rectification: You have the right to request incorrect, inaccurate, incomplete, outdated or unnecessary data to be rectified or completed, by contacting the University of Vaasa.
- Right to erasure: You can request us to erase your personal data from our systems. We will take the requested measures if we do not have a legitimate interest not to erase the data. The data is not necessarily immediately erased from all backup or other similar systems.
- Right to object: You may request restrictions on the processing of your personal data if your data is processed for purposes other than the provision of our service or the fulfilment of legal obligations. You may also object to the processing of your personal data, even if the processing were based on an earlier consent. Objection to processing of personal data may lead to more limited possibilities to use our website. You have the right to object to online direct marketing by following the instructions included in all marketing messages sent by us.
- Right to restriction of processing: You may request the University of Vaasa to restrict the processing of certain personal data. A request to restrict data processing may lead to more limited possibilities to use our website and services.
- Right to data portability: You have the right to receive your personal data from us in a structured, commonly used format, in order to be able to transmit those data to another controller.
- Right of access: You have the right to verify what data concerning you is stored in our contact detail data file.
9. Who is the controller and who can I contact
University of Vaasa
PO Box 700, 65101 VAASA
Switchboard: +358 29 449 8000
Requests concerning the exercise of access and other rights of data subjects shall be made centrally at the Registry of the University of Vaasa in connection with a personal visit. The identity of the applicant will be checked when the request is submitted and prior to disclosure of the data, so that the University of Vaasa can ensure that the personal data of the data subject is disclosed only to the data subject him/herself or to another person entitled to receive the data, such as the data subject's authorised representative. The identity can be attested by an official ID with photo. Approved IDs include the following: EU driving licence, passport, or identity card issued by the police.
If you have other questions concerning the processing of personal data by the University of Vaasa, you can contact the University's Data Protection Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your requests will be answered within a month or if, for a justified reason, this is impossible, you will be notified within a month of the delay in processing and informed of the reason for the delay. However, your requests will always be answered within three months from submitting the request.
Further information on data protection at the University of Vaasa: https://it.uwasa.fi/dataprotection/